Saturday, October 17, 2020

The Mixed-Up Chameleon Inspired Art

This week children continued to explore the concept of changing colours in particular to the season of fall and what better way to build on this than to introduce the children to a chameleon, and this is where Eric Carle's 'The Mixed-Up Chameleon' came into play.

Children listened to the story which tells a tale of a chameleon who keeps wishing to be like the other animals he once saw at the zoo until his body is all mixed up with different body parts quickly realizing that he is happiest when he is himself. 

Children created patterned paintings on coloured papers using lego, forks, toilet roll to make their Eric Carle inspired prints. 




Cut out shapes and sizes of every kind to create your own mixed up animal.





"This is my mixed up cat", said Jules looking for parts that will make up his creation. "I need ears for my cat." I stop and wonder the kind he will pick.

You have it it mind, you bring it on paper.



 


"Aleshia look, I made a mixed up chameleon" exclaimed Wyatt. 
"I see the tail" I say, "yeah, here" answers Wyatt pointing with his finger. 


His thrill with glue and the story still fresh in his mind show in his art. 









"I am making a flamingo" smiles Chelsea while Estella decides to use various shapes without naming her creation. 

I see the parts that tell of a whole new story.


 






Hanon making eye contact says, "Mine has wings" with a giggle, "It's a bird. It is funny"

After all, being mixed up is quiet funny!!










Jules, "I want to make another one." flipping the paper.

"I wonder what are you thinking Jules?", I ask.
 
"It is a mixed up tug boat. This is the siren." with excitement in his voice.





It makes me wonder how imagination flows so effortlessly through their thoughts, interests and experiences.

It's value lies not in its results, not in the product of creation but in the process itself. It is not important what children create, but that they do create, that they exercise and implement their creative imagination.

Lev Vygotsky

No comments:

Post a Comment